Thursday, July 25, 2013

M R S A


I wish we could send  Bad Doctor   a bill to be reimbursed for the thousands of dollars he cost us, not to mention the sickness and pain, because of his bad work! Two hospitalizations and two additional surgeries as corrections for the 2 surgeries he did.

Bad Doctor gave me the gift of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). When I was told I had cancer, I was very brave but when I was told I had MRSA I broke down and cried like a baby. The doctor and nurse both cried with me.

Amongst the things I never wanted to know how to do, I was taught to give myself  IV's to treat the MRSA. I had a very sweet and super cool home health nurse who accessed my port and showed me how to clean and attach the bottles of medication and how to flush it afterwards. She came to draw blood for testing and also came to change the needle into the port. Afterwards, she came in and de-accessed the port.



A very large box was delivered to our home. It contained 24 bottles of the correct dosage of medication for a 90 minute infusion. It also included boxes of surgical gloves, masks, alcohol wipes, prefilled syringes with both saline solution and heparin for flushing my port, and additional supplies for changing the port and drawing lab work.

The bottle pictured above has been used. That post in the center is covered with a deflated balloon. When the bottle was new the balloon was filled with the medication (think: water balloon). As soon as I attached it to my port line and unclamped it, it would start flowing by pressure. I infused myself twice a day for 2 weeks.

I am thankful I was able to do this at home. The active infection is cleared up but it is doubtful I will ever be free of MRSA.

Bad Doctor. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment